Don’t miss this county’s covered bridges and round barns that were built in the late 1800’s, as well as the Jackson County Community Theatre — a nonprofit, local organization dedicated to providing quality live theatre productions for Jackson County and surrounding communities. From the 1st production in 1971, the organization now hosts its shows in the Royal-Off-the-Square Threatre building in Brownstown, Indiana.
Local museums abound in Jackson County, Indiana — the Fort Vallonia Museum, features agriculture and pioneer history; and the Jackson County Historical Museum, located in Brownstown, Indiana, exhibits rare newspapers, uniforms and information about county residents. The Historical Society has a pioneer village on the property, as well as a unique Revolutionary War Monument dedicated to the 34 Veterans who are buried in Jackson County.
The Freeman Airfield Museum is located at the Freeman Field Municipal Airport in Seymour, Indiana, and is dedicated to preserving the history of the men and women who served in the field during WWII. The museum has uniforms, artifacts, photographs, and parts of European airplanes. The Freeman Airfield once housed pilots undergoing advanced pilot training, and also the famed Tuskegee Airmen.
Brownstown Fund for the Arts is a group dedicated to the preservation of art and culture, hosting such events as wine tastings and painting, concerts, art shows and expositions, art camps, culinary art classes and have several successful partnerships with Brownstown business and groups.
Festivals and Events
Indiana would not be Indiana without festivals, and Jackson County has many of the state’s finest! The Jackson County Visitor Center provides a comprehensive guide to festival event offerings in Jackson County.
- Seymour Oktoberfest — For over 30 years, this annual festival has been a popular event filled with shopping, food and fun. The Oktoberfest is held the first weekend in October in Seymour and admission is free.
- Jackson County Fair — Jackson County has an award winning fair that provides fun packed days of entertainment for the whole family — featuring agriculture, food, rides, stock car racing, shows and much more!
- Fort Vallonia Days — Featuring pioneer events, food and crafts, Fort Vallonia Days is a fall event not to miss.
- Jackson County Watermelon Festival — A 48 year-old festival held the first full weekend of September in downtown Brownstown, Indiana.
- Crothersville Red, White & Blue Festival — For over 40 years, Crothersville’s patriotic festival has been proudly honoring Veterans.